Monday, July 02, 2007

Megan and Alpe d'Huez July 1, 2007

Megan says that she hates to ride bikes. So just to prove that is no big deal, she said "mom I want to ride up Alpe d'Huez today. Ok sure Megan are you CRAZY? The climb to Alpe d'Huez starts in the town of Bourg D'Oisans. Here are the Stats from the Alpe d'Huez web site:
Bends : 21
Departure : 2,351 feet
Arrival : 6,100 feet
Difference in height : 3,749 feet
Length : 8,89 miles
Average steep : 7,9 %
Highest steep : 14 %
Climb record : 37’35’’
Average speed of 14,34 miles/h (Marco Pantani in 1997).

Make your choice now Megan!
Going Euro, no helmet for the climb. The first three hairpins are the worst. Megan rode with these three guys for a while. They were stunned to say the least.
I had to keep telling her to not chase these guys!
The route is well marked, you start at 21 and work your way down while climbing.
She is still smiling and the worst is almost over, but it was getting very hot. We didn't start until noon. Riding during the heat of the day was very stupid on my part.
Four down, 17 to go.
We made it to the first town, where there is a cafe and ice cream but Megan said no I can wait till we get to the top.
Well maybe I'll take a little break here on this lovely bench, as you can see, riding in the heat of the day was a bad move on my part.
Ahhh, you have got to love the fountains and ice cold spring water throughout the Alpes.
I've ridden Alpe d'huez more than 5 times and I never noticed this memorial.
Jeff and Brian rode in from home to meet us, how sweet.
Looking down on a few switchbacks and the town of Bourg D'Oisans where we started.
Luckily there is plenty of water for cooling off.
Number 11, getting much closer to her goal.
Starting to see the signs of making it, and she was still talking to me.
Yea, you are actually seeing a 9 year old girl who never rides, kicking your butt up Alpe d'Huez.
Number 8, certainly more than half way?

OK time for a water break, and a few snacks, I think that she was still talking to me at this point.
Two towns down on route to the final destination, I guess this is a religious town, the cross posts the days and time of church services.
Megan found a bus stop along the route and decided it might be a better idea to just wait for the next bus to the top.
Not Megan, she had a goal and.... now she was at number 3.
Stopping for a quick photo op.
She made it into the town of Alpe d'Huez!!!! I really did not expect this to happen!
This is close to where we watched the tour stage last summer.
Still smiling, not cracked, AWESOME Megan, totally AWESOME!

1 Comments:

Blogger Zach said...

It's awesome that you all got to go over there. I just sat and read all of this. Absolutely sweet.

6:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home