Sunday, September 17, 2006

Views From the Fort de la Bastille

This image comes from a local web page dedicated to cycling around Grenoble. This is an ad for a time trial held every September, luckily we missed the entry deadline! I lifted the text below from the website which describes the climb up the Bastille:

Fort de la Bastille - Ask anybody in Grenoble about the climb to the Bastille, and watch their reaction. The road is just less than two kilometers in length, but the average gradient is 17% with stretches of 24% and it soon starts to burn the legs. How do I know this, because some kind soul has written the percentages on the road. The climb was used as the prologue stage in the Dauphine Libere in 2000 and there is also a hillclimb every September. Follow signs for La Bastille from La Tronche.
http://www.grenoblecycling.com/Grenoble-LocalRoads.htm

These are the Telepherique "eggs" which most people use to get to the Fort de la Bastille.
Jeff's school in downtown Grenoble.
View of the Isere river to the right, the Drac river to the left and the synchrotron (large donut of electrons whizzing about ie the white circle shaped object).
Tom the movie star after we climbed the Bastille. Tom climbed with Jeb earlier in the week and after I had stopped for the second time and was crying Tom informed me that he and Jeff were already at the top by now. I started walking and Tom made me turn around and ride the section I had walked. It took us 18:35 to go less than 2km. I really don't want to know how long it takes Jeff to climb.

3 Comments:

Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

single speed climbing always involves walking...

5:04 PM  
Blogger gwadzilla said...

WOW!

that looks like lots of pictures and lots of fun!

very cool!

maybe when my kids get older I can take them out of the US for a stint!

4:32 PM  
Blogger Your Friendly Neighborhood HR Dude said...

will you update already!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home